30 miles to the West of Zennest is Cedar City, Utah on the other side of Cedar Breaks National Monument. The city of 30,000 people is also home to eateries, breweries, museums and historic attractions, and outdoor outfitters.
Whether you are planning a long weekend or a quick day-stop, Cedar City is a family-friendly epicenter of Southern Utah activity.
Here are a few of our favorite things to do in Cedar City, Utah:
- Catch Richard III and other Shakespearean classics at the Engelstad Shakespeare Theatre. The Professional Theatre at Southern Utah University is celebrating its 60th Anniversary Season of the Utah Shakespeare Festival with performances running from June through September.
- Savor the sips at IG Winery. Find the IG Winery in the heart of Cedar City’s downtown district, near the Shakespeare Festival and Southern Utah Museum of Art (SUMA). Perfect for a relaxing afternoon or in-tandem with Cedar City shopping, dining, and entertainment.
- Explore the stunning outdoors at Cedar Breaks National Monument. Cedar Breaks National Monument is a naturally occurring 2,500-foot basin. Explore the basin’s limestone formations, forests, and red rock edifices along designated hiking trails. Other park activities include experiencing dark night skies, ranger programs, skiing and snowshoeing, and snowmobiling in select areas. (National Park Service website)
- Hit the slopes at Brian Head Resort. This ski resort is a local favorite for winter fun. The mountain offers over 650 acres of terrain and 71 runs for skiing and snowboarding. Snow tubing is also available. (www.brianhead.com)
- Discover history and culture at Frontier Homestead State Park Museum. A portal to education and fun for the whole family with interactive exhibits plus an extensive horse-drawn wagon collection, historic buildings, Native heritage, antique sawmill, and replica blast furnace. The museum is open year-round with daily admission. (www.frontierhomestead.org)
- Get your fill with local fare. Centro Woodfired Pizzeria is a destination-eatery that’s top-rated on TripAdvisor and Yelp. All American Diner has classic burgers, breakfast, and diner food. Coffee and more delicious breakfast options can be found down the street at The French Spot and The Grindhouse. Grab a chimichanga at Tacos El Jefe.
Transportation & Logistics
If you are flying into the area to visit, Cedar City Regional Airport is two miles outside of the city and offers a daily Delta connection from Salt Lake City. Car rentals – Enterprise Rent-a-Car and Avis Car Rental – have cars available at the airport so that you can hop in and go right after landing.